The office of the Director of Pupil Services oversees the Downingtown Area School District Home School Program. Please see below for helpful materials to ease the process of registration and compliance with the Pennsylvania Home School Law and the Downingtown Area School District Home School Policy.
We request that all home school families register with the district using the links above.
Important Dates and Requirements
August 1 - Deadline for submitting the Home School Affidavit and the other required documentation for returning families. New families are free to submit documents at any point in the year.
- Detailed list of goals and objectives
- Health and Immunization forms –
- Immunizations – due each year with the Affidavit
- Physical report – due with 1st year of Homeschool and again in 6th and 11th grades
- Dental Records – due with 1st year and again in 3rd and 7th grades
Special Education Requirements:
- If your child has ever been identified as requiring special education services, you must have the goals and objectives reviewed by either a teacher with a valid certificate from the Commonwealth to teach special education or a licensed clinical or certified school psychologist. This written notification of approval must be submitted with the notarized affidavit and goals and objectives no later than August 1st of the applicable school year.
June 30th - Deadline for submitting current year evaluations
Note: Standardized Testing must be completed in Grades 3, 5 and 8. The evaluator report must confirm the testing has been completed and the results are satisfactory. It is not required to submit the results to the school district.
Pennsylvania Dept. of Education Mandatory Courses:
- Elementary school level (grades K-6), mandatory courses: English, to include spelling, reading and writing; arithmetic; science; geography; history of the United States and Pennsylvania; civics; safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires; health and physiology; physical education; music; and art.
- Secondary school level (grades 7-12), mandatory courses: English, to include language, literature, speech and composition; science; geography; social studies, to include civics, world history, history of the United States and Pennsylvania; mathematics, to include general mathematics, algebra and geometry; art; music; physical education; health; and safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires. Such courses of study may include, at the discretion of the supervisor of the home education program, economics; biology; chemistry; foreign languages; trigonometry; or other age- appropriate courses as contained in Chapter 5 (Curriculum Requirements) of the State Board of Education
Submit Homeschool Documents by mail or in person to:
Central Registration Office
Attn: Lina Dumi
540 Trestle Place
Downingtown, PA 19335
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org