DASD students advance to Delaware Valley Science Fairs
- High Schools
- Middle Schools
Projects by 13 Downingtown Area School District (DASD) students are headed to the Delaware Valley Science Fairs (DVSF) at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center! The qualifying students earned their places in the competition following top three finishes in their categories at the Chester County Science Research Competition (CCSRC) Dr. Lucy Balian Rorke-Adams Fair (6th-12th Grade Divisions). These students were recognized for their accomplishments during an awards ceremony on March 22.
A total of 26 DASD students participated in the CCSRC Rorke-Adams Fair. They were led by science fair coordinators Jen Bergman (Marsh Creek Sixth Grade Center), Wendy King (Downingtown Middle School, Downingtown High School East and Downingtown High School West), Mary Elvin (Lionville Middle School) and Anton Ocepek (Downingtown STEM Academy). Each school has at least one student advancing to DVSF, where approximately 1,100 Students from across the region compete during the first week of April.
The DASD students who advanced to the Delaware Valley Science Fairs are:
- James Baird IV (First Place, E Fair - 6th-8th Grade, Mathematics, "Florida Hurricanes")
- Saptak Das (First Place, B Fair - 11th Grade, Mathematics, "Modeling Epidemics using Differential Equations")
- Sohum Gautam (First Place, C Fair - 10th Grade, Physics, "RAMION Rocket Thruster")
- Diya Vimal Kumar (First Place, E Fair - 6th-8th Grade, Chemistry, "Tired of the Chemicals in Your Shampoo? Say Hello to Homemade Shampoo")
- Atharv Rajesh (First Place, E Fair - 6th-8th Grade, Environmental Science, "Biodegradable Packing Material From Agrowaste")
- Atharv Uddi (Second Place, D Fair - 9th Grade, Engineering, "Multi-robot Coordination to Complete a Task")
- Akshay Mandapati (Second Place, C Fair - 10th Grade, Computer Science, "The Cybersecurity Risks of Smart Home Devices")
- Ishaan Baheti (Second Place, C Fair - 10th Grade, Physics, "Increasing Efficiency of Solar Panels")
- Bhavesh Mantrabuddi (Second Place, B Fair - 11th Grade, Mathematics, "Impact of Player Status on Referee Bias as Seen in Momentum Shifts in the NBA Finals")
- Arnav Tandon (Second Place, E Fair - 6th - 8th Grade, Team Projects, "Acidic or Basic?")
- Miraan Jhaveri (Second Place, E Fair - 6th - 8th Grade, Team Projects, "Acidic or Basic?")
- Chaitra Chigurupati (Second Place, E Fair - 6th - 8th Grade, Behavior & Social Science, "Multitasking Mayhem")
- Prithvi Vijay (Third Place, B Fair - 11th Grade, Mathematics, "Predicting when Moore's Law will Reach its Physical Limit")
Congratulations to all of this year's participants!
Pictured (left to right): STEM Academy students Prithvi Vijay, Saptak Das, Sohum Gautam, Akshay Mandapati and Ishaan Baheti