2023 Winter Weather Plan
Due to construction projects planned for summer 2024, it is important that we do what we can to prevent extending the school year any later into the summer. For that reason, this year Downingtown Area School District plans to utilize Flexible Instructional Days (FIDs) for our first five inclement weather days. Should we utilize any of the FIDs, they would count as school days and not have to be made up.
We will operate as follows for the 2023-24 school year.
Flexible Instructional Days
The first five (5) emergency/inclement weather days will be held as FIDs/virtual days.
- All DASD brick-and-mortar K-12 programs will begin virtually at 8:50 a.m. and end at 1:30 p.m.
- Schedules & further information (www.dasd.org/FID)
- Secondary-level DCA procedures will be communicated separately.
- Elementary DCA students should follow the CCIU inclement weather plans.
- TCHS students should follow their DASD schedule.
- All DASD classes will include a live Zoom session, including direct instruction and live support during student work time.
- Teachers will keep the Zoom class/session open for the entire instructional period to support students.
- Teachers will take attendance.
- Teachers will communicate how students should access work (e.g. Schoology, email, Google Docs, etc.).
- Students are expected to attend all classes via Zoom, with cameras on, utilizing the FID schedule. If a student will not be present online, regular attendance policy should be followed.
- Should emergency/inclement weather conditions interfere with access to virtual classes, DASD may elect to switch to a full-closure, with all classes canceled. In that case, weather make-up days will be utilized per the district calendar schedule.
- Additional emergency/inclement weather days beyond the five FIDs will be full closures and all in-person and virtual classes will be canceled. In these cases, weather make-up days will be utilized per the district calendar schedule.
While I know there are always mixed feelings regarding how to handle inclement weather, I appreciate your flexibility and understanding as we move into the winter months. For additional details, please visit our website at www.dasd.org/FID or reach out to your child’s school.