The Downingtown Education Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) that exists to ensure that all students in DASD have the opportunities, support and academic tools they need to learn, grow and thrive.
DCEF was formed in 2008 to provide non-tax generated funding necessary to further the Downingtown Area School District's mission to education all children to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
DCEF serves to unite various constituencies within the district - students and teachers, parents and alumni, businesses and community groups - in support of educational activities and the achievement of common goals. We believe that strong schools and school districts lead to strong, vibrant communities.
What does DCEF do?
Provide hands-on learning and opportunities for students to explore, create and innovate in after school and summer enrichment programss - "Experience"
- Over 1,600 students grades 1-8 participated last year
- DCEF provided over $10,000 last year in financial assistance and scholarships to ensure no child was turned away
Promote school readiness in all Title 1 schools - success in kdg is a key indicator of long term school success
- Kdg Jumpstart is offered at no cost to identified incoming kindergarteners
- Since its inception in 2016 200 kindergarteners have participated
Provide grants for innovative teachers
- Since 2011 more than $135,000 as been awarded to teachers for programs, projects or activities that emphasize new apporaches to learning
- complete list of teacher grants
Incubator of ideas for DASD
- DCEF funds programs on a small scale to determine potential viability, impact and scalability for the district
- DCEF piloted iPads for kindergarteners and Enligh Language Learning classes in 2011. DASD now has iPads for all elementary students
- Finch & Hummingboird robotics programs were piloted in DCEF's after school programs and were then incorporated into Innovation Time
- The Innovation Lab was a collaborative project to solve the issue of equitable access to STEAM activities across the district and provide these opportunities in the most cost effective manner.
How do we accomplish our mission?
It is only by support from businesses, community organizations, local citizens and DASD families that DCEF can create and deliver innovative educational programs, leverage resources and award grants and scholarships.