Welcome to Bradford Heights - Home of the Bulldogs!
The Bradford Heights Elementary School, one of ten elementary schools located in the Downingtown Area School District, was opened in 1990. The current Bradford Heights Elementary School stands a short distance from the origional Bradford Heights School, a one-room schoolhouse. The origional Bradford Heights School, previously Highland School, opened it's doors in 1876 and closed them after 65 years, in 1941. It housed grades one through eight, and the highest enrollment reached 49 children. The current school is located just across the field from the original Bradford Heights School, which has been preserved by residents Bob and Sue Romig.
Unlike the original school, which provided for a maximum of 49 students, the new building opened with 30 classrooms, a library, a cafeteria/gymnasium, and a health area. It was designed for a maximum capacity of 625 full-time children. Current enrollment is 450 full time students in grades K-5, with another 65 part time Kindergarten students attending each day.
Bradford Heights takes its name from the high ridge which lies south of Downingtown, in the northeastern corner of West Bradford Township. The ridge rises 500 feet above sea level and stretches approximately three-quarters of a mile east-west.