Skip To Main Content

Schools Panel

Sidebar Container

Sticky call to action buttons

Student Meal Accounts

School Meal Charging and Collection Procedures

  • No student requesting a meal will be denied a full reimbursable meal unless the student’s parent or guardian has provided written permission to withhold a school meal.
  • Middle School and High School students are permitted to charge a la carte or other non- program foods unless they have a negative account balance in excess of $10 or a parent’s written consent to deny a student charging a la carte items.
  • Parents or guardians are required to cover negative balances incurred by their
  • Students with negative account balances or unable to pay for a meal will not be publicly identified or stigmatized.
    • High School student balances will be handled in the same manner as all other student obligations and may result in the loss of certain privileges.
    • High School Seniors - All outstanding food service account balances after graduation will be submitted to a third party collection agency.
  • Students with negative account balances or unable to pay for a meal will not be required to discard a reimbursable meal after it has been served.

School Meal Account Collections

  • Communication of student account balances:
    • Elementary and Middle School communications will be made to the parent or guardian and not to the student directly.
    • High School communications will be made to both parents and All communications with students will be done individually and discreetly.
  • Automated messages will be sent out weekly to any parent or guardian with a child who has a negative food service account balance.
  • Food Service staff will contact parent or guardian by telephone once their child’s negative balance exceeds $15.
  • Food Service staff will send a letter to the parent or guardian once a student’s balance exceeds $25.
  • The School Principal or designee will contact the parent or guardian by telephone once a student’s balance exceeds $30.
  • The Business Office will send a certified letter to the parent or guardian once a student’s balance exceeds $50.
  • If the District does not receive payment or if the parent/guardian does not contact the District in response to the certified letter within the specified timeframe the account will be considered delinquent debt and will be turned over to a third party collection Parents or guardians will be responsible for all collection fees, penalties or fines.
  • Uncollectable delinquent debt shall be considered bad debt and non-federal funding sources must repay the Food Service Fund for the total amount of the uncollectable Delinquent school meal debt shall not be classified as bad debt for write off purposes until after reasonable steps have been taken to collect such delinquent school meal debt.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
2. fax:
(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
3. email: