•              District Logo                      

               DowningtowArea School District
                                                       540 Trestle Place, Downingtown, PA  19335 
                                                      Emilie M. Lonardi, Ph.D., Superintendent
                                                           Phone: 610-269-8460  Fax: 855-329-3273

    Dear Parent/Guardian:

    Children need healthy meals to learn. Downingtown Area School District offers healthy meals every school day. Elementary and middle school breakfast costs $1.00; elementary lunch costs $2.35, middle school lunch costs $2.60. High school breakfasts and lunches are ala carte, with the exception of a bundled breakfast meal, which costs $1.75 and bundled lunch meal, which costs $3.20. Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

    If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION letter for free meals, do not complete the application. But do let the food service office know if any children in your household are not listed on the Notice of Direct Certification letter you received.


    • All children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly Food Stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.


    Household size

















    46, 435



















    Each additional person:




      Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals/milk if your household income falls at or below the limits on the above chart. 

     2.  HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS HOMELESS, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY?  Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Jamie Siegel @ 610-269-8460 x 6225 or jsiegel@dasd.org.

    3.  DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD?  No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: DASD Food Services, c/o DHSW, 445 Manor Avenue, Downingtown, PA 19335.

    4.  SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS?  No, but please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Kathleen LaBricciosa @ 610-269-4400 x 7595 or klabricciosa@dasd.org immediately.

    5.  CAN I APPLY ONLINE?  Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application. The online application has the same requirements. Visit www.schoolcafe.com/DASD to apply.

    6.  MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE?  Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application, prior to October 11, 2017, unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

    7.  I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please send in an application.

    8.  WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED?  Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report. 

    9.  IF I DON'T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER?  Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

    10.  WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL'S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION?  You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Mr. Rich Fazio, 540 Trestle Place, Downingtown, PA 19335 or rfazio@dasd.org.

    11.  MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN?  Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

    12.  WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME?  List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

    13.  WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT?  Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

    14.  WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY?  Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

    15.  MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP.  ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR?  To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits visit www.compass.state.pa.us, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-692-7462.

    If you have other questions or need help, call 610-269-4400 x 7595


    Kathleen LaBricciosa

    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at, https://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

    1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
    2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
    3. E-mail: program.intake@usda.gov.

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.