What is PAYS?
- The Pennsylvania Youth Survey (PAYS) is a student survey administered in odd-numbered years (e.g., 2009, 2011, 2013) to youth in 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th grades in participating schools throughout the Commonwealth. All Chester County Public Schools participated in the 2013 PAYS.
- The survey is anonymous, voluntary and confidential. Youth are never required to complete the survey, and their identity is not connected to their answers.
- Passive Permission for administration of the survey.
- The questions asked in the survey cover many types of attitudes, knowledge, behaviors, and experiences. Youth respond to questions on topics such as:
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs (ATOD)
- Violence and drugs on school property
- Being bullied
- Involvement in gangs
PAYS is a crucial tool used by DASD and CTC to determine the health of our community and to provide new supports or programs as needed.
PAYS helps parents better understand the real, daily pressures children have, how they are coping at each grade level, and it gives you the information needed to support your child and have those important conversations.