Related services (occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech language pathology) are provided to Downingtown Area School District by Pediatric Therapeutic Services, Inc. (PTS). PTS has been the district’s therapy provider since 2010. Together we’ve tailored each school environment to support even the highly-specialized needs of the district’s most involved special education students. By collaborating as at team, we have created therapeutic environments that allow our students to remain and progress in their home district.
Speech and Language Pathology, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy
The Educational Model
Speech, Occupational, and Physical Therapy services are:
- Governed by state and federal laws
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Free Appropriate and Public Education (FAPE)
- Determined by the IEP team
- Provided through direct s (??)
- Provided where the child receives education and in the least restrictive environment
- Provided through direct service or consultation
some elementary schools, a part of RtII to help students receive support they need through small groups and classroom strategies prior to an evaluation. RtII (Response to Instruction Intervention)
- Discharged by the IEP team when:
The child no longer presents with a skilled need, or, the child is able to perform functionally with environmental accommodations and/or adaptations, or, the child is no longer in need of therapeutic intervention to perform school tasks, or, the student’s deficit no longer responds to therapeutic intervention.