Downingtown Area School District's gifted education program is designed to provide specially designed instruction to enrich, to accelerate, or to provide a combination of both programming services to nurture and to develop the identified strengths of academically gifted students. The DASD Gifted Education program provides the following:
1. A Universal Screening process to locate and identify all students within the district who are thought to be gifted and in need of specially designed instruction
2. Multi-tiered and multiple criteria screening and evaluation process to determine students’ educational strengths
3. Screening, evaluation, and reporting procedures to determine whether a student is mentally gifted and to notify parents of the results
4. Gifted Individualized Education Plan (GIEP) developed and reviewed annually for each identified student
5. Safeguards for the due process rights of gifted students.
6. Notification to teachers of their responsibilities to each of their identified students as outlined in the student's Gifted Individualized Education Plan (GIEP).