College & Career Planning
The STEM Academy school code (CEEB) is 391-036.Post-secondary planning can seem like an overwhelming process for students and families. A major goal for the the Counseling Department at STEM is to help our students and families navigate this process and prepare them for the transition to college and career. On this page, you will find various resources we think are helpful for students and parents as they move throughout the college process. Resources have been broken up into the major components of the college research and application process:
PresentationsOver the course of the year, the counseling department provides several presentations to students and parents. This includes our back to school night, financial aid night, 11th grade college planning night, and classroom presentations. Below you find PDF versions of all of our presentations:
College Visits & EventsAdmissions representatives from many colleges, universities and technical schools will visit the STEM Academy, mainly in the fall season. Students are encouraged to meet with these representatives by signing up in advance via Naviance using the steps below.
- Junior Year Wrap-Up - presented in 11th grade English classes in spring 2018. Provides students with an overview of the college process and how to request transcripts and letters of recommendation for 2018-2019 application season.
- NEW 11th Grade College Planning Night- presented on Nov. 20, 2019 to 11th grade students and parents. View a copy of the brochure, glossary of terms, and other handouts here.
- Financial Aid Night @ STEM Academy - The STEM Academy Counseling Department hosted our annual Financial Aid Night on the evening of Oct. 15th. Please click here to access Michael Burke's (PHEAA) Financial Aid 101 presentation. For information regarding the CSS/Financial Aid Profile, you are encouraged to visit the official website.
- Login to Naviance
- Go to Colleges > Research Colleges > College Visits or go to Colleges Home and find the College Visits card.
- Click Sign Up to sign up
- Click the Sign Me Up button
The Counseling Office allows for 10 school days processing. Please keep in mind that once the documents are received by the colleges and universities, it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks for them to process. Please see the Mrs. Zach in the Counseling Office for request forms.College Planning Timelines & ChecklistsCreating Your College ListNaviance - check out SuperMatch College SearchCollegeboard - check out Big Future by Collegeboard15 Things to Consider When Choosing a College (article)How Many Colleges Should You Apply To? The Difference between Reach, Target, and Safety Schools (article)How to Choose Dream, Match, and Safety Schools (article)Application Policies & ProceduresFinancial AidGap Year (article + online resources)