Characteristics of a successful cyber student
With the freedom and flexibility of blended and cyber courses come responsibility. The online process takes a real commitment and discipline to keep up. Students should be willing to login to class every school day, even if they don’t have a face-to-face meeting.
If you’re considering a blended or cyber class, you should be willing to demonstrate the following qualities:
- I am a self-motivated and self-disciplined individual.
- I enjoy working independently.
- I am not afraid to ask for help.
- I have good time-management skills that allow me to schedule times throughout the week to work on my course.
- I am usually able to meet deadlines for schoolwork.
- I am unafraid to communicate any questions or concerns to my teacher either online or face-to-face.
- I am comfortable expressing myself in writing using standard English.
- I am not a procrastinator. I like to get things done today and not tomorrow.
- I will not miss the daily face-to-face interaction with my instructor and classmates.
- I do not give up easily, even when confronted with obstacles.
- I am willing and able to commit to the same number of hours per week per course as I would for a traditional course.
- I agree that online courses can be more challenging than face-to-face classes.
- I consider myself an average to above-average reader.
- I have basic computer skills.
- I have access to a device that is connected to the Internet.
- I am comfortable in a "virtual environment" - email, sending attachments, online discussions, etc.
- I am not afraid to try new things.